(14) Lane, S. M. & Briffa, M. In Press How does the environment affect fighting? The interaction between extrinsic fighting ability and resource value during contests. Journal of Experimental Biology.
(13) Lane, S. M. 2018 What is a weapon? Integrative and Comparative Biology.
(12) Briffa, M. & Lane, S. M. In Press Signals in conflict resolution: Conventional signals, aggression and territoriality. In Breed, M. D. & Moore, J (Eds) Encyclopedia of Animal Behavior (2nd ed.) Elsevier.
(11) Lane, S. M., & Briffa, M. 2018. Immune function and the decision to deploy weapons during fights in the beadlet anemone Actinia equina. Journal of Experimental Biology. 221:
(10) Briffa, M. & Lane, S. M. 2017. The role of skill in animal contests. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences. 284: 20171596.
(9) Lane, S. M., & Briffa, M. 2017. Boldness is for rookies: Pre-fight boldness and fighting success in a sea anemone. Animal Behaviour. 132: 13-20.
(8) Lane, S. M., & Briffa, M. 2017. The price of attack: Rethinking damage costs in animal contests. Animal Behaviour. 126: 23-29.
(7) Lane, S. M., Dickinson, A. W., Tregenza, T., & House, C. M. 2016. Sexual selection on male cuticular hydrocarbons via male-male competition and female choice. Journal of Evolutionary Biology. 29: 1346-1355.
(6) Lane, S. M., Haughan, A. E., Evans, D., Tregenza, T., & House, C. M. 2016. Same-sex sexual behaviour as a dominance display. Animal Behaviour. 114: 113-118.*
*Included as an ‘In Focus’ featured article
(5) Rapkin, J., Jensen, K., Lane, S. M., House, C. M., Sakaluk, S. K., & Hunt, J. 2015. Macronutrient intake regulates sexual conflict in decorated crickets. Journal of Evolutionary Biology. 29(2): 395-406.
(4) House, C. M., Jensen, K., Rapkin, J., Lane, S. M., Okada, K., Hosken, D. J., & Hunt, J. 2015. Macronutrient balance mediates the growth of sexually selected weapons but not genitalia in male broad horned flour beetles. Functional Ecology. 30(5): 769-779.
(3) Lane, S. M., Solino, J. H., Mitchell, C., Blount, J. D., Okada, K., Hunt, J., & House, C. M. 2015. Rival male chemical cues evoke changes in male pre- and post-copulatory investment in a flour beetle. Behavioural Ecology. 26(4): 1021-1029.
(2) Ingleby, F. C., Hosken, D. J., Flowers, K., Hawkes, M. F., Lane, S. M., Rapkin, J., House, C. M., Sharma, M. D., & Hunt, J. 2014. Environmental heterogeneity, multivariate sexual selection, and genetic constraints on cuticular hydrocarbons in Drosophila simulans. Journal of Evolutionary Biology. 27(4): 700-713.
(1) Ingleby, F. C., Hosken, D. J., Flowers, K., Hawkes, M. F., Lane, S. M., Rapkin, J., Dworkin, I., & Hunt, J. 2013. Genotype by environment interactions for cuticular hydrocarbon expression in Drosophila simulans. Journal of Evolutionary Biology. 26: 94-107.